Friday, October 06, 2006

What is a Christian?

This was one of the main questions that we talked about today in key issues along with exploring how we judge others (especially youth) and how different churches do things differently.

To me, a Christian is someone who believes in God, Has a personal relationship with Jesus as their saviour, Knows that they will sin and fall down but more importantly knows that God forgives, Understands the reason Jesus went to the cross (to die for us-bring us into relationship with God). That basically sums it up for me. I used to think that a Christian was someone who went to church...That was that....But as I've grown up I've come to understand that Christianity isn't about appearance and attendance at a church but it is ultimately about relationship. Something which is also at the heart of Youth Work.

Today we also read a poem by Pip Wilson, written just before one of the Greenbelt festivals. It contained a lot of very important issues regarding judgments of people by appearance, competence andbehaviorr without getting to know them as real people. For me in particular I found parts of it very challenging and parts very saddening, I think this comes from personal circumstances I have experienced and I'm sure I will talk a bit more about these in the future. But I need to take time to 'get to know' my blog a little more before I tell my whole story. Give me time and I'm sure I will.

One thing I was reminded of during today's session was something A guy called Andrew Croft said at Soul Survivor this year. He said that before we speak we should make sure we T.H.I.N.K. Now think stood for

T. True
H. Helpful
I. Inspiring
N. Necessary
K. Kind

I believe that it is important for us to think before we speak but also before we majudgmentsnts about people.

Sorry for the long ramble..You'll'll just have to get used to it...

So
What is a Christian?
Do you have to go to church?

Discuss

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you'd asked me when I was about 7 I'd probably have said, "a Christian is someone who goes to church", but now I think anyone is entitled to call themselves a Christian - if they have an inclination to call themselves that, then presumably it's true for them, and I would not want to judge their relationship with God. Because really that's how I would define it - a relationship with God, while acknowledging that there's no way we could have one without Jesus. I'm sure there's more to it than that and I'm over-simplifying but those two are the most fundamental facts, to me.

That's not to say that I don't think church is important - it is, to grow stronger and deeper in your faith and get a better sense of who you are in Jesus, through service and fellowship. Still, when it comes to defining a Christian, it can't really be right up there, as there are many "healthy" Christians who don't go to church, and indeed many non-Christians who do...

I think I should stop writing now!

moira frew said...

What is Church?

M

rich kendrick said...

Hi Laura,
I thought your explanation of a Christian was spot on -

'To me, a Christian is someone who believes in God, Has a personal relationship with Jesus as their saviour, Knows that they will sin and fall down but more importantly knows that God forgives, Understands the reason Jesus went to the cross (to die for us-bring us into relationship with God)'

So your next question -
Do you have to go to church?

Well my answer to that would be-
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian anymore that going to a garage makes you a mechanic.

P.S Hope those pews get removed soon!!!

God Bless
Rich

Unknown said...

Moira i think that your question is spot on....what is church?
to me church is a community of believers...so, my youth groups are church...especially for goth group and chav church..its probably the closest they're gonna get to organised church...so....thats my opinion on what church is.

Anonymous said...

what is a christian?

well at the moment im in a cynical mood cos ive just been to church, so id say that a christian is someone who goes to church once a week on a sunday watch the show have some coffee talk about the weather then goes, and if anyone tries to talk to them about something deep or remotely akward then they walk the other way. ah! nice to get that out of my system!

OK! sorry, usually id say a christian, is literally a follower of christ. and thats about it really cos christ has everything in him/her ???! it??

and no you definatly dont have to go to a "church" as if in the building but it depends what your think church is. to me church is christians meeting with other christians, so you shud definatly do that!

moira frew said...

Hi laura,

I agree church is what ever you make it. I have a frined who works for church army and she recieved a call for a guy one day who said;
" I think I have started a church!"

What do you mean?

Well I got bored with what I did at church on a sunday so I decided that I would rather spend it water skiing, so on the floowing sunday I went to the lake. There were two other guys going out at that time and just before we went on the lake I explained that I was a christian and it felt a bit strange not being a church so would it be ok if I read a bit form the bible and said a prayer before we went on the water. They said that would be fine so I asked if they had anything they needed praying for. One replied that he was worried about a hospital appointment that could be quite serious and the other said that actually he had just be made redundant and wa worried about that. Anyway I read a passage, prayed for us and then we went on the lake.

The following week I asked if we could do the same again, yes they replied but before I could ask any more they told me that the hospoital appointment had given him the all clear and the other found a job the following day. so we prayed, giving thanks, read and went on the water.

So whatmakes you think that you have formed a church? asked my friend.

Well we still do the same thing each sunday, but now there are 150 of us!!

so what is Church but a group of people praising God in whatever they do wherever they are!!

M