Friday, October 27, 2006

All Blogged out!!

I feel like blogging has become kinda like a part of my study here at chester and i think its going to be helpful for stuff like the big event next year....i'm really exited!!!....(anyway) but i'm not totally sure why i'm still blogging about random stuff but anyhow.....
let me know if i start rambling and i'll try to post something from someone else more inteligent!

today we had key issues and we talked about sex.
a little issue that christians seem to be just a tiny bit scared about. (agree??)
from my experience of youth work i've not really had to discuss this issue that much apart from when its february in coventry cathedral youth team.....when Keith has the tradition of talking about sex for a whole month in all the groups.
i do have to admit that the first year i lead groups in febuary i was very embarrassed about the subject just because its not something my family or home church really talked about that much (at all) but by the end of the month i realised how important it is not to shy away from the subject and to face it head on....young people are going to want to know about sex, young people are going to have sex.....no matter what the youth worker says (a lot of the time)....so we need to be prepared to deal with the issue sensitively and informatively.
i look forward to the day when christians are no longer afraid of sex but are able to talk about it as easilly as they can give talks on things like self-image (groan) or Jesus (yay!)....

Youth workers out there (and anyone else really).......what do you think??

2 comments:

Naomi said...

I think........I think that it is so silly that christians are 'scared' of talking about it. Actually, i don't think all christians are, cause at home i have conversations with my christian friends about it all the time. I think it's some parents and older christians who may feel that if it is spoken about it will happen, but if it is ignored it doesn't happen! People like that need to wake up and realise it is so real, it is happening within the church, their churches and young people need their help to understand it and deal with it!

Ruth said...

I don't think every christian is scared of sex and i'll explain more in my blog :). because there is too much I want to say.