Saturday, January 09, 2010

Hello!
I'm in an internet cafe in the centre of Nairobi. I will be in Nairobi until next Sunday I think. We're at a monastery retreat centre in a place called Karen.
Apparantly it's the rich place where all of the white people live!
This weekend it's the mid year camp for the other volunteers and ours starts on sunday. There ...are 2 other volunteers here that are starting now and 2 more arriving on sunday. One from Austria, USA, Germany and Iceland. Today we caught a Matatu which is a small mini bus that they get as many people as possible onto, Basically the Tube but on a bus! It's maybe 22C but not too bad, it's been raining and so it's not too hot.
The first night I stayed in the Kenyan YMCA which was an interesting experience, especially as the guy who collected me from the airport at11pm just dropped me off and said 'someone will come for you tomorrow...' But I got some sleep and am now being looked after by the ICYE kenya people, They are much more organised than... the English ones,even if they do everything late! It seems that being late is the national hobby, well i have practice at that right?!
The food is ok, cabbage and rice with some kind of fish last night and bread for breakfast. Lots of tea!
I'm not sure what is going on most of the time but that's ok, I'm just very tired and could do with a very long sleep but apparently tonight we are going out in Nairobi and could have to stay out till 6am... as you imagine I can't really say no I'd like to sleep :-p so Kenyan clubbing it is then!
I hope you are all well and I'd love to hear from you, I'll reply when I can.
Take care, Dont get too cold! xxxxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you got there safe my lovely, enjoy every experience and take every opportunity you are presented with!! miss you lots x

Gill K said...

thinking of you, Laura! hope you get the chance to sleep soon! Africans seem much less embarassed about this than we are ... they just lie down and sleep!